Thursday, November 15, 2007

Conclusion to IVF #1

Sorry that I wasn't able to update my blog in the end of the cycle. I was having computer issues and had to take it to place for work on it! $300 later it's up and running. If I added any more money...I could have had a new system!

I had my egg retrieval on a Wednesday 10/10/07. It wasn't bad at all! They started my IV, walked me into the "OR" type room. I sat at the end of the stretcher and that is all I remember about the procedure. My husband says that I was talking in spanish in recovery. That in itself is funny. I am bilingual but my primary language is English. I think in English, translate things in my head and then speak Spanish. My husband is 100% American and doesn't speak any Spanish. I also told them I had to hurry because I had soccer practice. Well, I played soccer in middle school for ONE year.

I did have some mild cramping later on but nothing to write home about. I had no spotting. I took off work the following day because of the emotions of it all. I felt like I needed to just sleep.
When they called me the following day with my update....that only 6 eggs were retrieved, only 4 were mature and only 2 fertilized. I was glad that I got that update at home. I tried to be happy but felt disappointed.

I had a 3 day transfer. They put back one 6 cell and one 7 cell embryo with no fragmentation. The fact that they weren't 8 cell also made me sad. I know....I know....I am a perfetionist. The doctor kept telling me that they were perfect embryos for day 3.

After that...I began taking home pregnancy test on day 6 after my transfer. My thought was....I want a negative one first....to make sure that the trigger shot is in fact out of my system.....so, if I get a subsequent positive....I know that it is really a positive. Unfortunately, my test continued to remain negative up until the day of the beta which was also negative.

I was pretty heartbroken. My husband and I decided to give it one more try. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF because I had a selective tubal ligation. Therefore, it meant taking out another loan.

We met with our doctor and she changed things around for this time. She felt that I oversurppressed on the lupron and developed a cyst. Therefore, this time she will put me on the birthcontrol pills for the 3 weeks (as before) for suppression but she will not use Lupron. I will go in the day after I stop the birthcontrol pills for a "suppression check"....mostly to make sure that everything looks normal and that there are no cycsts. Then on day 4 after stopping the birthcontrol pills I will start stimulation meds. I will be adding Ganirelix to my meds when my follicles reach about 14-16mm which will prevent ovulation.

I am really hoping that this time I make more eggs, that some make it to day 5 and that I actually get pregnant. I am currently on week 2 of the birthcontrol pills. I am suppose to start stimulation meds on 11/27.

2 comments:

seattlegal said...

I'm sorry that #1 didn't work. :-(

I hope that this next one will. Good luck!!!

Lorena said...

Thanks. I am really hoping that it does too.