Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sperm Test Results Back

Well, I got "our" semen sample results today. He has a 9% morphology. My response was "what is that and what does it mean?". I was told that they like to see it above 14%. They said that the morphology of semen is the shape and normalcy. I understand it like this....out the 100% semen sample...9% were normal in shape and size. She said that there were a lot with 3 tails, many with no heads. I began to picture children with no heads or 3 butts!!!! Apparently this is normal UP TO A CERTAIN %....and they like that % to be greater than 14. Then suddenly I started hearing "ching ching" like coins dropping onto a counter in my head. AND I was right. When this is the case...they recommend either another sample to be given or a procedure called (ICSI) to be used in the fertilization. ICSI stands for Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection. That means that they "micromanipulate" the sperm by injecting a single sperm directly into the egg in order to fertilize it. This is done for low sperm counts or low motility sperm. If they don't have a head or a tail...it won't be motile enough to get the job done. They burrow their heads to get into the egg and use their tails to swim towards it. AND yes...this is another $2000 more! OUCH. I received this information from our nurse. She said that she would speak with our doctor and get back to me on where we go from here. Details details....

No comments: