Saturday, September 1, 2007

Drugs

I received my shipment of fertility drugs in the mail today. Thank you, thank you for good insurance! I only had to pay a $28 copay rather than the $3200 that they cost. I am in the first phase...taking the BCP's. I start taking Lupron on September 17th. I have a tentative schedule for the embryo transfer on October 10th. I also feel blessed because I just found out that I was given a $1500 discount for my IVF cycle. I know the doctor that is doing it from a mutual friend, I have also worked with her when I took care of a patient of hers at the hospital. I imagine the discount came as a result of being a nurse and the rest of it that I mentioned. I did ask about a possible professional courtesy discount to the finance office. They emailed her and sent me a notice this week about the discount that I was given. I am so relieved and grateful for that.

We are paying out of pocket for the cycle because of my tubal ligation being the cause of my infertility. I have heard about prices varying from area to area...in this area (DC metropolitan area)...a cycle runs $9500, ICSI is an additional $2000. Thus far, I was told that we will not need ICSI. Things have been working out for us so far. They do offer the shared risk program...and I believe that runs from $25,000 to $30,000 for up to 5 tries. My husband and I simply couldn't afford that. Keep me in your prayers.

It's stressfull enough to bring a baby into this world with debt from creating it....but it comes at a time when you will hopefully be needing money for possible time off work, baby items, child care, formula, diapers. I guess it shows how the desire to become a mother/father outways the finances. I can't help but be sad that it couldn't happen naturally.

1 comment:

seattlegal said...

Sorry it's been so long since I've commented. That's great that you only had to pay $28 - that helps out a lot! Good luck with starting the Lupron!!!