Monday, June 23, 2008

Ruptured Ectopic

Well, I never made it to my doctor appointment today. I ruptured my ectopic pregnancy while working in the ER this weekend. I was in the middle of assisting a doctor with popping a dislocated shoulder back into into place. All of the sudden I got completely soaked in sweat and felt like I was a second away from passing out. I began having pressure and a dull ache through out my pelvic area. I also felt pressure over my bowels. I stepped away to compose myself. I sat down, began fanning myself. After a few minutes it got a little better but the pressure in my pelvis was building. So, I talked with one of the doctors and he asked me check in right away. I gave my patients to another nurse and checked in.

My repeat HCG level showed a drop from 1700 to 1400. The repeat sonogram showed no sac in the uterus and a mass was visible on one of the tubes. The bloodwork also showed a drop in my H and H (which means that I was losing blood)...so, within an hour I was off to the OR. They removed my left tube....which had infact ruptured. There was blood in my belly.

They had been suspecting that my ectopic was on my right side but it turned out to be on the left. I was glad for that. My shorter tube with some scar tissue was the left tube. My right tube is my longer one with no known scarring.

The doctor that did the surgery recommended not TTC for 3 months and having an HSG to check and see if my remainding tube is patent before TTC again.

Physically I am sore. I was discharged this evening. Emotionally I am not as good. I am really feeling the loss of my baby. I also feel anger that I can't just get pregnant and have a healthy baby. I feel scared that I will never have one and that this might happen again.

It makes me really sad to think that I was pregnant yesterday and now I am not...just like that...it's over.

11 comments:

Shelby said...

I'm so, so sorry. Sending lots of hugs.

JW Moxie said...

Lorena, I am so very sorry that this has happened. You are in my continued prayers.

Cajun Cutie said...

sorry, You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get better news soon.

emilythehopeless said...

i am so very sorry for your loss.. take care of yourself. hugs

http://emilythehopeless.wordpress.com/

Prairie Girl said...

I am so sorry for your loss! I too had a ruptured ectopic. It is such a frightening experience. My thoughts are with you in this time of sadness and grief. Again I am so sorry!

http://emptyarmsandbrokenhearts.blogspot.com/

CG said...

Sorry for your loss. Take good care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you lost your pregnancy.

((hugs))

Sweetpea said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been -and still is- for you. Sending hugs and hopes for healing to start. Take care.

sara said...

I am very sorry that you have had to go through all of this. I hope your recovery is a smooth and quick one. But I will keep you in my thoughts.

NJJ said...

I'm so, so sorry. :(

Amy said...

Lorena,

Just found your blog...so sorry for your loss. I hope you are physically doing well.

((HUGS))